Thursday, June 25, 2009

Books

Another great love of mine, aside from photography, family, food and LOST, is reading. Although I can be a bit slow in getting a book read, I am rarely without some kind of book being absorbed. I wanted to blog about two special books that have really touched my heart. They are A Thousand Splendid Suns and Three Cups of Tea. Both books are about life in Afghanistan (and Pakistan), with ATSS being fiction and TCOT being a true story. If you have never read either of these books, I HIGHLY recommend them. They will surely open your eyes and your hearts to see a different side of Afghanistan and Pakistan than what the media portrays.





This is a picture (not mine, though I would have loved to have been there) of the authors of the books, Khaled Hosseini and Greg Mortenson at the WRD (World Refugee Day) fundraiser held recently. Angelina Jolie gave a speech there.


I am currently reading Called Out of Darkness by Anne Rice. It is her personal story of how she went from being a devout Catholic, to being an athiest, to finally refinding her faith again after 38 years. I have always been an Anne Rice fan, and recently she started writing only Christian fiction which I have come to love even more than her early work. Though I will always love her vampire stories, her Christ the Lord series have quickly become some of my favorite books to date.



1 comment:

Tearz said...

I'm with ya on that and forgot to chat about TCT today. Love ya tons and thanks for the chat. I need your shoulder more than I know it sometimes.