Friday, November 13, 2009

Give yourself breathing room.

One of the first things I learned about photography is to always leave room around your subject (breathing room). I am guilty of not doing this from time to time. Sometimes I fail to get it right in-camera, and other times it is a PS crop issue. Luckily, if it is a PS crop issue it can easily be fixed by undoing your crop. However, if it is in camera, you don't really have a lot of options. That is what happened in this image of my kids.

I cropped too tightly on the left of my daughter's arm. I really liked this shot though and wanted to find a way to make it look a little better. First I increased the canvas size about 5 inches. Then, I grabbed another shot of them sitting in the same spot and merged a little bit of the open area from the other pic onto this one. I used the clone tool to blend the two and this is what I got.


It looks and feels much better to me. What do you all think?

2 comments:

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer said...

looks great!! impressive :)!! i have no idea how to do that :)!! and i LOVE that picture, i hope you are blowing it up BIG!!

RealKidReviews said...

Absolutely LOVE the first version actually. Stunning use of open space to draw attention in to the subjects. Seems a little forced in the redone version. I like that E is hugging the edge in the first version. It gives it some movement and texture.