Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Toy Wars

What on earth made me decide to blog about this topic? I was thinking the other day about the different prizes, toys, etc., kids get today with their fast food kid's meals. When kid's meals first started coming out (yes, I am old enough to remember that), they had great toys. It was so much fun to go to BK and get a crown and a kids meal and see what your cool toy would be. I decided it would be fun to do a little comparison of some of the toys my kids have gotten with their kid's meals from some places we have been to recently. So, here it is.
*********************************************************************

Contestant No. 1: Arbys

This is a "spy glass" from Arbys. If you look into it, you can see things on a wall on either side of you, so it appears your looking forwards, when you are really looking to your left or to your right. Not too bad, but my kids got bored with this one quickly.

*******************************************************************************
Contestant No. 2: Burger King



Burger King gets big props from me for having Indiana Jones kid's meal toys because I am a huge Indiana Jones fan. However, the paper ant and snake are lame and their destruction time in the hands of my two year old was less than five seconds. The whip also didn't last long as the handle unraveled like a roll of toilet paper. I have to say I did not get any of the other Indy toys in this set, so I can only judge this one. Nice try BK.

****************************************************************************

Contestant No. 3: Taco Bell

Todd and the Talking Pinata of Tolerance. This was the culprit that spawned this blog. Although TB is trying to do right by providing kids with a book, I honestly laughed out loud when I read the title as I pulled it out of the bag. The book is in Spanish and English, so I suppose they are also trying to build on children's early grasp of learning new languages. However, given the option of chosing between Todd and his talking Pinata or Indy's whip or Arby's spy glass, I picture kids running for the latter. Good job with the attempted education factor TB.

****************************************************************************

Contestant No. 4: McDonalds

Kung Fu Panda figures. Okay, so the clear winner of this little challenge is Mickey D's. (IMHO). We are still in the process of collecting the rest of the figures, but we did manage to snag three of them, all of which have some sort of action whether it is jumping, rolling or swirling a stick around the monkey's head. The interaction my kids had with these toys was by far the longest of all the toys mentioned here. They were colorful and fun to play with, even for us big kids.

**********************************************

Obviously the most important thing is the food being consumed by your child at these places which is getting better as some offer yogurt, fruit and juice/milk in place of french fries and soda now. However, in the Toy War....the winner today is Mickey Ds. Let me know what you think or what your kids have gotten in their kids meals!

1 comment:

Tearz said...

Wow- I'm so out of the loop with kids meals. I didn't even know that Arby's or Taco Bell had kids meals. Tells you how much my boys get spoiled with take out night. I'm with you tho, that Mickey D's usually has the coolest stuff! But here we have Rallies/Checkers and they give some cool stuff out too! Loved the post!!!